Anne Barkis received her BA in Communications with an emphasis in persuasive political communication from the University of Kansas. She remained at KU for both her Master of Social Work and Juris Doctor degrees as well. She has worked in and around politics since the age of 5, when her father was elected to the State Legislature in Kansas. In 2000 Anne came to Colorado and began working in political campaigns which included managing a state senate race, grassroots coordinating for state and federal races in the largest county in Colorado, and managing a large independent expenditure campaign. Anne also has experience in counseling both survivors and perpetrators of domestic violence, as well as prosecuting domestic violence perpetrators. Before coming to work for Mendez Consulting she spent two years as a contract lobbyist representing a variety of business and energy interests, and five years representing the Colorado Department of Education as their sole lobbyist. Her passions are education, at-risk youth, and social justice.
2012 Mendez Consulting, Inc.
• Full-time lobbyist
2007–2012 Colorado Department of Education
• Tracked legislation all legislation related to K-12 education
• Led policy discussions and guided strategy for the State Board of Education
• Reported on and tracked bills during committee hearings
2004-2006 Colorado Legislative Services
• Assisted with lobbying and tracking issues of interest to clients
• Prepared position papers and other written communication for legislators